Thursday, May 9, 2013

Green Light Means....Anxiety!

Well, today was the day of our egg retrieval.  Since we started this process, this was one of the big milestones that I had been anxiously awaiting.  It meant that it would finally be time to make some babies! I was ready for it to come and a little disappointed when I was told at my appointment on Monday that we would be doing medications one more day before getting ready for the retrieval.  I was initially excited on Tuesday when they gave the green light that it was time for the trigger injection that night and egg retrieval today (Thursday).  Then, the realities of some of this procedure began to set in....this is an out-patient surgery....I'm going to have a needle pushed through my vaginal wall......I'm going to have my legs up in the air and spread....completely exposed.  I spent most of Tuesday evening, and a good bit of Wednesday dealing with some severe anxiety....I was having to work myself out of having a panic-attack.  I reached out to our church group and a few friends for prayers.

Today went SO much better than I could have anticipated.  Every nurse I encountered, the anesthesiologist, the on-call doctor, EVERYONE, was wonderful!!!  And, as I hoped, I was deeply sedated before my legs went into the stirrups (these stirrups by the way, are MUCH WORSE than the typical stirrups at your OB/GYN office).  My recovery has been pretty good too.  I had some slight pain right after I woke up from the procedure, but they gave me some meds in my iv that eased it immediately.  Overall, I have just been really tired, a little uncomfortable and sore today...Nothing too bad.  I think the worse thing has been the on and off nausea that I have had and having to be so dependent on Chris.  I wasn't even allowed to even get up and go to the bathroom on my own earlier today...I can't pick Tenley up, etc.  

When I left today, they told me that they were able to collect 19 eggs during the retrieval.  We'll know tomorrow morning/early afternoon how many of them were mature, what the quality of them was, and how the fertilization period went.  We chose to only fertilize 6-8 eggs, so I'm anxious to see how many they actually attempted to fertilize, how many of those successfully fertilized, and what the progress of them is so far.....Waiting round two has begun!

We will either be going in on Sunday or Tuesday for our transfer depending on if we end up with a Day 3 or Day 5 transfer.  While I hope that we make it to a Day 5 transfer on Tuesday (many believe that the embryos, or blastocytes, at this stage have a better implantation rate), there would be something cool about having our Day 3 transfer on Sunday----Mother's Day.  Our sweet babies are in God's hands now.....We'll see what happens.  We still welcome all prayers right now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment