Friday, June 28, 2013

Finally Ready to Talk About It.....

 It has been over a month since I have blogged and this is primarily because I have not been ready to talk about it.  Going through this whole IVF process has been one of the most difficult experiences of my life.  Nothing could have prepared me for all the emotional ups & downs that we experienced.  When we made the decision to pursue IVF, I kept myself positive by focusing on the final outcome of having a baby.  Even though I was aware the process would be difficult, I tried not to let my thoughts linger on the difficult parts.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 we went in for our embryo transfer and began the dreaded "two-week wait."  We  were scheduled for a beta test on Friday, May 24th to find out if the transfer was a success or not.  Being the impatient person I was, I spent countless hours over the next week "researching" on the Internet, blog pages, and talked to friends that had done in-vitro themselves., about taking a home pregnancy test before the actual blood test.  I know the blood test is more effective and picks up lower hormone levels, but the idea of going for the blood work and then just waiting for the call was making me sick to my stomach.  So, even though everyone I talked to that had done in-vitro advised me to wait for the blood work and to NOT take a home pregnancy test, I did it anyway.  I didn't even tell Chris that I bought the test, because I knew he agreed that we should just wait for the blood work. I had to relieve some of my anxiety though, so on Thursday, May 23rd (day before my blood test), I took the test....


And....



I took another one that night.  I just had to see that beautiful word again. :)

The next day, I went in for my blood test as scheduled.  The doctor called me a few hours later.

Dr. Straub: Hey Kristyn.  It's Dr. Straub.  So, what are we thinking?
Me:  I'm thinking I cheated and took a pregnancy test yesterday.
Dr. Straub: Oh, you ruined my surprise.  Well, yes, you are pregnant.  Congratulations!

My beta numbers that day were 192.  Good strong numbers. It was too soon for me to try to guess whether we were pregnant with one baby or two though...

I went back the following Tuesday & then a week after that for repeat beta tests to be sure that my numbers were increasing as needed.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013: Beta Levels: 946 (still couldn't tell if one or two)
Tuesday, June 4, 2013: Beta Levels:  6,477 (these numbers were so close to what my numbers were at this stage with Tenley, that I became pretty sure that there was just one baby, though we couldn't know for sure.

After my blood work on Tuesday, June 4th, we scheduled our 6 1/2 week ultrasound & 1st doctor's check for Monday, June 10th.  This is when we would find out if we had 1 or 2 babies cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment